Friday, June 30, 2006

A BRUSH WITH FAME

I felt really good last week. Really good. I have always mantained that there is no such thing as an original idea. It is foolish and naive to even think we have an original idea, when we have more than 5 billion other people on this earth thinking and creating all the time. So why was I so happy last week?

My "original" idea won a CANNES GOLDEN LION! The award is likened to winning a Grammy Award or an Oscar, and the LIONS are one of the most coveted advertising awards in the world. Unfortunately, my client didn't think it was so, because they rejected the idea a couple of months ago when we made a pitch for another part of the Toyota business. The idea was destined to the rubbish heap, until the awards were announced last week. it seemed, that my idea was "stolen" from me, by the agency who did a series of ads for VW in Germany.

Sigh.. a momentary brush with fame, bringing me no reward except for the small reward of knowing that I was also capable of winning a major award. See the ads for yourselves..


Here is my ad..

This is the idea "stolen" from me! Grin!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've come to realise that part of the reason Malaysian ad industry is so behind compared to the rest of ASEAN is becos the clients don't buy. Not just that we don't have talent.

gecko said...

Thanks for the compliment. You are right, the talent is there... but an advertising campaign can only be as good as the client allows it to be.